Demat account is the primary requirement for trading and investing in the Indian securities market. With demat account, the investors are no longer required to hold physical share certificates and worry about keeping them safe. Demat account enables the investors to hold all their shares or securities at a single place in electronic format.
Demat account is essential these days because the financial platform of trading, investing and maintaining are digital. Demat account gives you a seamless and hassle-free experience of trading or investing in the financial market. Moreover, there are many other benefits associated with having a demat account in comparison to maintaining and tacking your investments when they are in physical form.
However, when it comes to opening a demat account, not many are aware of the process. To clear your doubts about opening a free demat account, we have listed down the steps that will assist you in opening a demat account.
Steps To Open Free Demat Account
- Visit the office of the depository participant and fill the account opening form. Submit the copy of documents like proof of identity, proof of address, income statement, PAN card, passport size photograph, etc. These documents are mandatory to open a demat account.
- The depository participant shall give you the agreement copy containing the rules and regulations.
- The depository participant will then send a member to carry out your in-person verification. This is done by the depository participant to verify that the details and documents submitted by you are correct.
- On successful completion of the verification process, you will be allotted a client ID and a demat account number. By using the client ID, you can log into the demat account and start transacting in shares or securities online.
The above mentioned points showcase the free demat account opening process when you visit the office of the depository participant. However, you can also open free demat account online. In this section of the article, we have listed down important steps for opening demat account online.
Steps To Open Free Demat Account Online
- Visit the website of the depository participant and sign up for opening the demat account. Fill the basic details like your PAN number, Aadhaar card number, etc.
- Keep a copy of the following documents ready with you as they would be required in the next steps.
- PAN Card
- Aadhaar Card
- Proof of Income
- Bank proof in the form of cancelled cheque
- After filling the basic details, you will receive a one-time password to verify your PAN and Aadhaar cards. Now you will have to upload all the documentary proofs you are holding like bank details, address, passport size photograph, etc. Here you will also get the option to select the brokerage plan.
- In the last step, the depository participant shall conduct a video session with you to carry out in-person verification. This is done to confirm the details submitted by you. On completing the verification process, you have to click on the “e-sign” button and this will generate a one-time password on your registered mobile number. By entering the right OPT, your e-KYC would be completed and your e-sign shall be affixed.
The above mentioned points will help you in opening a free demat account online. Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned investor in the Indian stock market, it is ideal to compare different broking firms before making a decision.
If you are looking to open a demat account, you can consider Kotak Securities. They are one of the biggest and leading names in the broking industry. Their pricing, services, and customer relationship are impeccable. All you need to do is walk into their office or open a demat account online.