The fast progressions in technology have made every testing facility, industrial processing system, factory, etc. transfer to automation from mechanization. Automation is considered a step that succeeds mechanization and utilizes a high-control capacity device for effectual production or manufacturing processes. Industrial automation makes the use of various control devices, like PACs, PLCs, PC, etc. They control industrial processes by eradicating the use of labor intervention.
Additionally, it also substitutes highly dangerous assembly operations with some automated ones. Hence, industrial automation has close links to control engineering. In industrial automation technologies, it becomes possible to sense various variables, like flow, temperature, liquid levels, pressure, and distance. Every above-mentioned variable is possessed, processed, as well as controlled by some complex microprocessor systems. At times, PC-based data processing controllers too do this job.
The categorization of industrial automation systems
You can categorize industrial automation systems in different forms based on the control and the integration level that you wish to have on the process of manufacturing. Fixed automation is considered the customary automation system amongst all because its operation sequencing gets pre-determined through the configuration of the equipment. However, flexible and programmable automation happen to be more optimal for the medium- to high-volume production environment because they need input right from a human operator. Again, when the business passes regular production and is in need of highly complicated functions, then you can use an integrated automation approach as it would turn out to be more ideal.
When you use robotic process automation, then you can get round-the-clock operation easily and it would end up escalating productivity significantly. When you structure it with ideal auxiliary elements and configuration, then you can hope to get flawless consistency all through the manufacturing process. You can also expect to get impressive outcomes with the use of proprietary technologies which improve the overall cycle time remarkably.
Benefits of industrial automation
- Low operating cost – The use of industrial automation lessens healthcare costs besides holidays and paid leave linked with human operators. Again, it doesn’t need various other employee benefits, like pension coverage, bonuses, etc. The maintenance cost related to machinery utilized for industrial automation is lesser as it doesn’t fail often.
- High productivity –Industrial automation does fulfill the intention of a company as it allows it to run manufacturing plants 24×7 and it results in a remarkable augmentation in the company’s productivity.
- Higher flexibility – A human operator is needed to have training for underdoing a special task but, you can program robots to do any job and it turns the manufacturing process highly flexible.
- High accuracy of information – When you add automated data collection, you can improve data accuracy, accumulate key production information, and lessen the costs of data collection and it proposes you with vital facts for making ideal decisions regarding augmenting your processes and lessening waste.
- Safety factors – Industrial automation makes the production line highly safe and secure for the employees as it deploys robots to deal with dangerous conditions.
- Superior quality – Industrial automation technologies eases the errors linked with human beings. Again, unlike a human being, robots don’t suffer from fatigue and it results in the manufacturing of superior-grade products.