Three Steps to Take When Planning for Your Child’s College Education Following Divorce


Parents can have different plans about their children’s education no matter the status of their marriage. But, such differences can become even more divisive when a couple decides to divorce. Planning for your child’s college education after divorce can become more complicated since some states do not order parents to pay support when a child becomes an adult. Whether you are in the middle of a divorce or have completed your divorce, here are steps you can take to help your child reach their higher education goals:

Talk to a Family Lawyer

When your divorce is ongoing, you must consult a skilled family lawyer from Lawrence Law Office on the rights of your child to college education support. In Ohio, child support continues until your child reaches the age of 18 years and graduates from high school. Thus, one parent should make payments when the child is enrolled as a full-time high school student. Your lawyer can help you create a realistic plan that complies with the state’s legal standards.

Plan in Advance

You need to know how you will deal with the college costs of your child by ensuring your final divorce agreement and orders include a certain provision. The final agreement must address the issue of college support no matter the age of your child during the finality of your divorce. 

Your family lawyer will make sure the agreement or order has a certain plan for how you and your spouse will share and pay the expenses. If it is not possible to come up with a plan when your divorce is nearing completion, you can reserve this for later court action or negotiation. But, your agreement must state that you and the other parent of your child will offer college support to your child. Otherwise, you won’t be able to seek it later. 

Consider the Divorce Agreement When You Plan for Child’s College

If your divorce agreement has a particular plan for college expenses, it can guide you in helping your child ick an affordable and desirable college. Otherwise, you should negotiate or litigate with your ex to determine ways to pay the expenses. 

Since the right of your child to higher education support should be exercised before their 18th birthday or high school graduation, you need to review your support order or divorce agreement once your child is considering college. 

By hiring an attorney during and after divorce, you can help your child reach their college goals. A skilled family lawyer can guide you in planning for college and enforcing such plans when your child nears high school graduation.