Singapore is one of the busiest business hubs globally, and more and more organisations are setting up offices at the place. We can say that the country is the most sought-after business destination for all. It is a gateway for the east and the west. Property prices, including commercial spaces, are skyrocketing. Again one cannot compromise with the work atmosphere and need a proper office to run the show. Therefore, one should always pay heed to some key features before opening an office. One should do the office space planning considering various factors to get maximum output from the employees. Keeping the employees motivated while working in the office is a challenge. Let us discuss the key considerations for planning for an office in Singapore.
Things to consider
Defining the purpose of having an office should be on the top of the list. The business’s type or nature should get priority, and then one should plan for the perfect space.
- Office type – Depending on the work, the working hours, the nature of business, any entrepreneur needs a dedicated office space. One should always look into the flexibility of the workplace. One may need offices suitable for after-hour access for meetings with high-end security and surveillance system. Apart from having an own office, one can opt for offices for services, hot desks, shared rooms, co-working kiosks, and many more. Therefore, defining the type of office is of utmost importance.
- Location – Location plays a vital role in planning for an office space in Singapore. A balance between the employee’s accessibility and the customer’s ease of reaching your office should be on the priority list. If you are in an online business, then an office space some distance away from the main market can save on your pocket. While dealing with some product or services, staying in or near the marketplace is advantageous. The nearby facilities like restaurants, malls, or airport, or the tube rail add to the location flexibility.
- The noise levels: Too much outside noise can distract the working concentrations of the employees. Choosing an office space that filters the outside noise helps everybody concentrate more on work, and thus productivity increases. Therefore, while planning for the office space, one should pay heed to cut down the loud noises and build an atmosphere of pleasant buzz. The interior designers or the architects can work on the subject and do the needful.
- The flow of natural light and air – Although almost all offices are air-conditioned, make sure it has some provisions for natural airflow. It can refresh and energize the employees and uplift the working spirits. Again, many people feel claustrophobic sitting in the offices or cabins without having an outside view or getting natural light. Your office should have an abundant entry of sunlight. It also cuts down the energy bills to multiple levels. One should sit with the architect and plan for the interiors, like erecting the walls or the partitions so that there is an abundant natural light flow.
- Privacy of the employees – It is a fact that employees need some privacy at their workplace. Therefore, plan your interiors in such a manner that privacy is not compromised. It is best to follow your business trends and working habits and build the interiors accordingly, unlike the most modern offices that many start-up plans. Your employee need should be one of the primary concerns.
- Consider the floor space – Every business aims to grow big. As it grows big, entrepreneurs recruit more employees to distribute the workload. However, it becomes difficult to accommodate more people in small floor space. Considering the future growth plan, one should select an office with adequate floor space to accommodate more future employees. Shifting offices after every 3/4 years is not a viable option for many reasons. The customer needs to be informed; the employee needs time to adjust to the new atmosphere, interior design cost, and many more. Therefore consider your future business plan and select the perfect floor space for your office.
- Parking lot – One of the significant problems in busy cities like Singapore is car parking. Ensure that the office building you choose has ample parking space for the entrepreneurs, the employees, and the visitors. Parking a mile away from the office and then walking is not always possible for all.
- The budget – Space is premium in Singapore. Therefore, consider your budget and plan for your office. One may opt for renting an office space or own the same according to the budget. However, while renting, make sure to know about the maintenance and the payments. Will it is on the landlord who will pay for it, or you have to pay extra for them should be one of the considerations. For owned-space, understand the rules and regulations of maintenance for the common spaces like the lift, stairs, lobby, or the outside of the building.
- The interior décor – The interior décor should match your working or business style. While planning for an office, make sure to have the right furniture, the desks, the tables, the workstations at the right place. Often too much clutter on the floor makes the space look clumsy. It is best to take the services of any professional interior designer who can help you on how to choose Office furniture in Singapore based on your need. One should never forget that the first impression many times becomes to be long-lasting. So give the best office impression to the employees and the clients can bring out your taste and office culture.
- Security – Today, the office premises’ security is one of the primary concerns for all entrepreneurs. Make sure that the building has proper security and surveillance system in place, including fire safety measures.
Keeping in mind the above considerations, planning for office space in Singapore is not an arduous task. One should define the present and future business objective and move into an office space to do the best business. Prioritizing the business need, creating a healthy office atmosphere, and staying within the budget should be critical considerations.